Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chilli


First, I'm from Illinois, so I spell chilli with two L's and I make it with beans. Now I understand, living in Texas, this is risky business. But, I grew up helping my grandpa make this kind of chilli. When he would make chilli, it would be an all day affair. The unfortunate thing is that he never wrote the recipe down. And I was just young enough to not pay attention to how he made it. But, I must say, this version turned out very good.


Chilli
2 lbs. ground turkey breast
1/4 c. chilli powder
1 T. paprika
1 T. oregano
2 t. cumin
2 t. garlic powder
1 t. ground red pepper
Salt and pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 poblano pepper
1 bottle Budweiser
29 oz. can tomato puree
1 can petite diced tomato
2 cans dark red kidney beans

Put poblano on baking sheet and broil in oven until all sides are black and blistered, rotating pepper to blister all sides. Remove from oven, put in glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 10 minutes, wipe the skin off pepper, remove seeds and chop. In large soup pot, brown up turkey. As it is browning, mix in chilli powder, paprika, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, ground red pepper, salt and pepper. Add onions and poblano peppers, cook for 5 minutes. Add beer and simmer until the liquid is almost gone. Add tomato puree, diced tomatoes and beans. Let chilli simmer, stirring occasionally for 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment