Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Tale Of Two Soups




I am in Illinois visiting my parents for Thanksgiving. So, of course I'm doing lots of cooking. I always come with meal ideas and then figure out when I will make them. It just so happens that I ended up making both of my soup recipes today. I made the cauliflower soup for lunch and the black bean soup for dinner. They were both a big hit. Though I think that my parents are so happy to have dinner made for them, I could make soup out of an old shoe, and they would love it... Ok, maybe not.

Cauliflower Soup
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 small onion, diced
4 c. chicken broth, divided
2 c. half and half
1 t. cornstarch
Salt and pepper
4 strips turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
Green onions, optional topping

In large pot, bring 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, potatoes and cauliflower to boil. Let cook for 15 minutes. In skillet, cook onions, then add to soup. Season with salt and pepper. With potato masher, lightly mash potatoes and cauliflower, leaving the soup chunky. Mix cornstarch together with remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth. Stir in cornstarch mixture, and half and half. Stir in bacon. Top with green onions.


Black Bean Soup
1/2 small onion, diced
3 cans black beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
2 c. chicken broth
2 t. cumin
Ground red pepper, to taste
Salt and pepper
1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded

In large pot, cook onions for 3 minutes. Add chicken broth and black beans. Lightly mash some of black beans with potato masher. Season with cumin, ground red pepper, salt and pepper. Cook soup for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, cook for 10 minutes. Top with shredded chicken. * If soup is too thick for your liking, add more chicken broth or water.

No comments:

Post a Comment