Sunday, February 14, 2010

Marinated Chicken


I feel like such a rock star when I cook for my family on Sundays. They always ooh and aah over everything that I make them. And my nephew, Luke, was really impressed today that I cut the chicken breasts to look like hearts for Valentine's Day. Ok, so I like all the oohs and aahs, so I didn't tell him that butterflied chicken breasts naturally have a heart shape.


Marinated Chicken
4 chicken breasts, butterflied
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
1/2 c. sherry vinegar
1/2 c. oil
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 head roasted garlic, recipe follows
1 T. fresh thyme
1 T. fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper

Mix together vinegars, oil, onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Marinate chicken for at least 1 hour. Remove chicken from marinade, and cook in skillet for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.


Roasted Garlic
1 head garlic
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper

Cut the top of the garlic head off to expose all of the cloves. Put garlic head in small piece of foil with cloves facing up. Drizzle oil on garlic, season with salt and pepper. Wrap garlic if foil, roast in 400 degree oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven, cool slightly and squeeze the garlic cloves out of the paper.


Roasted Asparagus
1 bunch asparagus
Extra virgin olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

Trim asparagus of their woody ends. Toss asparagus with oil. vinegar, salt and pepper. Roast in 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, to desired doneness.

1 comment:

  1. You ARE a rock star...and I'm with Luke. As I read your note I thought to myself, "Only Leah would cut chicken into hearts. She's so awesome."

    ReplyDelete