Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thai Coconut Shrimp


My boyfriend, Stephen, has told me before, "Baby, you should make coconut rice like my mom does." Though this type of statement can carry an interesting connotation, I am not offended by this comment. I have no problem admitting that I really don't know anything about African cuisine, and would love to learn from his mom. This is a Thai dish, but I thought I would make some coconut rice and see if it measures up to Stephen's moms' rice. Luckily, (for my adorable boyfriend) he said that it was just like his mom's. In fact, this is a new favorite of his.


Thai Coconut Shrimp
2 lbs. shrimp, thawed
1/2 onion, chopped
2 T. red curry paste
2 t. fish sauce
1 can coconut milk
Salt
1 1/2 c. rice
4 scallions, chopped

In medium pot, bring 1 cup coconut milk and 1/2 cup water to boil. Add rice and salt. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Once liquid is absorbed, stir in scallions. In large skillet, saute onion and curry paste for 3-4 minutes. Add shrimp and cook another 3-4 minutes until the shrimp is cooked through. Stir is fish sauce and the rest of the coconut milk. Let milk reduce for 4-5 minutes. Serve on top of rice.

1 comment: