Sunday, March 22, 2009

Recipe Contest


By profession I am a teacher for Dallas Independent School District. The district has an annual healthy recipe contest. In January I had seen this upcoming recipe contest and thought nothing of it. Well, my friend, Corley was not having that. She demanded that I enter the contest. Reluctantly, I submitted an original recipe, Crunchy Asian Chicken Slaw, on the last day they were accepting entries. Long story short, after lots of nerves and anxiety, I won 1st place! I received some amazing prizes, including a food processor, a Crock Pot, a Food Network cookbook, 10pc. cookware set and a Walmart giftcard. What a wonderful experience that I don't ever want to experience again. I have decided that my nerves are just not made for the food competition circuit.
Crunchy Asian Chicken Slaw
Chicken:
2 lbs. Tyson chicken breast, cut into strips
½ c. soy sauce
1 t. fresh lime zest
1 T. fresh lime juice
½ t. grated fresh ginger
1 c. Kellogg’s All-Bran Wheat Flakes cereal, crushed
¼ c. sliced almonds, chopped

Slaw:
2 T. smooth peanut butter
1 T. fresh lime juice
1 t. soy sauce
½ c. extra virgin olive oil
2 c. bean sprouts
2 c. matchstick carrots
4 scallions, sliced on an angle
6 romaine lettuce leaves, cut into thin strips
½ c. dry roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix together the soy sauce, lime zest, lime juice and ginger. Marinate chicken strips in soy sauce mixture for 5 minutes. Mix cereal and almonds together and spread out on a plate. Coat each chicken strip with cereal mixture and place on greased baking sheet. Bake chicken for 8-10 minutes, or until cooked through.

Whisk together peanut butter, lime juice and soy sauce. Slowly add oil, while continuing to whisk dressing. Mix together bean sprouts, carrots, scallions and romaine lettuce. Toss slaw with dressing. Top slaw with peanuts and chicken strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment