Friday, July 30, 2010

Granola Makeover


I have been making my own granola for years. I have even posted a recipe before. But over the years, the recipe has continued to change. The first time I made granola, I used corn syrup and brown sugar. When I think about that now, it makes me cringe. I started making it a little healthier by using honey. Then I switched to agave nectar, which doesn't spike your blood sugar. And now, I use gluten free oats.


Granola
Printer-Friendly Version

4 c. old-fashioned oats (mine were gluten free)
1/2 c. sunflower seeds, or nut of choice
1/2 c. chopped dried apricots, or fruit(s) of choice
1/2 c. almond butter
1/2 c. agave nectar
1 t. cinnamon

Put oats, nuts of choice and dried fruit of choice in a large bowl. Mix together almond butter, agave nectar and cinnamon. Warm mixture in microwave for 10-15 seconds if needed to break down the almond butter. Pour almond butter mixture over oats. Mix together until oats, nuts and fruit are well coated. Spread out on a baking sheet. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool completely before breaking up granola.

No comments:

Post a Comment