Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup


Are you a fan of the Biggest Loser? I can't get enough of it. And I always feel kind of guilty for eating dinner while I'm watching it. But obviously not guilty enough to stop doing it. Tonight I'm going to try to get this recipe posted without getting too distracted by the Biggest Loser. I'm already not doing a very good job. It doesn't help that my friend, Jenni and I have a tendency to text each other throughout the show about what's happening.


Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Printer-Friendly Version

2 t extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper
2 T fresh rosemary, chopped
Pinch red pepper flakes, to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 c wild rice
4 c chicken broth
1 c dairy or nondairy milk
2 c cooked chicken, diced
1 c baby spinach

In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot, salt, pepper, rosemary, red pepper flakes and wild rice to pot. Let shallot saute and wild rice toast for 5-6 minutes. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover pot. Simmer for 45-50 minutes, or until rice is tender. Stir in milk and chicken. Let chicken heat through for 2-3 minutes. Stir in spinach and remove from heat.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I love the Biggest Loser and I always happen to be eating while I am watching it! Lol! At least this is a healthy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! I always change the channel - the guilt gets to me too!!!! Except I have to say that I agree with Heather - your soup is too healthy for you to feel guilty! :)

    ReplyDelete