Monday, January 24, 2011

Stuffed Acorn Squash


I've had an unhealthy obsession today. My friends, Corley and Angela already had to hear about it today, but they will just have to endure it again... There was this girl on the Rachael Ray Show recently who had started a blog to document her losing weight. She decided to take pictures, once a week, of herself in a bikini to show her progress. She is either brave or crazy, decide for yourself. Though my obsession today was about the fact that she weighs the exact same amount as me but still looks better in a bikini than me (I finally figured out that she is 3 inches talker than me), that's not my current obsession with her. The fact is, I'm jealous. I'm jealous that she was clever (read: crazy) enough to take pictures of herself in a bikini and then end up on the Rachael Ray Show. I want to be on the Rachael Ray Show! Ok, maybe not in my bikini. But that's beside the point.


Stuffed Acorn Squash
Printer-Friendly Version

1 acorn squash
1 t + 2 t extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/2 lb ground turkey breast
1 small eggplant, peeled and cubed
1 carrot, chopped
1 c sliced mushrooms
1 c baby spinach
1 scallion, chopped
1 t onion powder
Pinch nutmeg
1/4 c chicken broth

Slice the acorn squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and membrane. Coat inside of squash with the 1 teaspoon of oil and season with salt and pepper. Place squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until tender. In large skillet, heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil over medium high heat. Cook ground turkey with salt and pepper for 5-6 minutes. Add eggplant, carrot and mushrooms to skillet. Season with onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add spinach, scallions, nutmeg and chicken broth. Let spinach wilt down for 1-2 minutes. Stuff each acorn half with ground turkey mixture.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I feel like that all the time... I see/hear/read about someone doing something (read getting famous/recognition/making millions) for something that I totally had the idea for too! Or if I didn’t have the idea (first) I beat myself up for about a day thinking ‘why didn’t I think of that’!

    PS You should be proud of your weight loss. Dieting and exercise is not easy especially when you have to follow an even stricter diet (gluten free) than most!

    PPS I want to be on the Rachael Ray Show too! : )

    ReplyDelete