Sunday, October 25, 2009

Meat Pie



There is something about the name Meat Pie that just seems odd to me. But there is a story behind why I am calling this Meat Pie. Just before Thanksgiving last year, I asked my boyfriend, Stephen, if his parents would like a pecan pie. He told me no, so I then started asking if his parents would like other pies like pumpkin, apple, etc. Finally he told me that they really don't eat sweets and if I wanted to make them a pie, I should make a meat pie... WHAT?!? This was a conversation where we were definitely not on the same page.


Meat Pie
adapted from Rachael Ray Mag
1 1/2 lbs. steak, cubed
1 medium potato, skinned and cubed
2 carrots, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 carton mushrooms, sliced
2 T. flour
1 t. fresh thyme
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 c. dark beer
1 t. ground red pepper
2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
1 egg
Grill Seasoning

In large skillet, add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes. Add carrots and onion, cook for 2 minutes. Toss steak with flour, add to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce and ground red pepper, cook for 1 minute. Add beer and let simmer for 10 minutes, or until liquid had reduced and thickened. Roll one puff pastry sheet out and put in the bottom of a pie pan. Add meat mixture. Roll out other sheet, top meat mixture and crimp the edges. Mix egg with 1 teaspoon of water and brush on pie. Sprinkle pie with grill seasoning and cut slits in puff pastry. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Cover with foil during last 10 minutes so the crust doesn't burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment